Sunday, October 25, 2009

All is well that ends well...

And I am glad to be walking... more explained a little later on..

Okay highlight of the week was going to Pollo Campero (a fast food place around here) with 7 kids who were under the age of 7 all of which are HIV positive. They live with the Missionaries of Charity and they are legit adorable. We ate fried chicken and french fries and drank coke until we were blue in the face. Legit one little boy, Moses, who is 2 years old, probably drank a liter of coke. We then played in the jungle gym thing and i couldn't take how adorable it was. These kids don't get to act like kids a lot, and they most of them have lost their parents to AIDS and so they don't get to do special things like go to fast food a lot. You would have thought we took them to Disney World they were so happy. After that, we took them to the mall and ate ice cream. I am not a fan of sticky kids, but even I will make exceptions! Holding sticky hands is not my favorite, but when it is these kids there was no way I could say no, there was no reason I would want to say no!!!! Needless to say, after all this, we had 7 happy, tired, and very full kids.
We had 5 adults and 7 kids, we were still out numbered.

Another day, after the volunteer hours for the Becas program, the head of the program had a party for her triplet daughters. It was adorable. We had a pinata and tacos and cake and soda, all in all just a great party. They are really cute kids and it was really great being able to share a party with all the kids in the program.

So, having to do with the title of this blog, our community event this week was taking a walk. I was told we wouldn't be doing a lot of walking so i was in flip flops. Bad choice. While doing a rosary walk through the jungle (maybe a bit exaggerated.) i got a splinter in my foot. After getting back in the car and going to get ice cream we tried to get it out of my foot. We legit were digging in my foot with a needle for a good hour. I cried. Multiple times. We tried hot water, cold water, and everything in between. It was not coming out. It was hard because it was in my foot vertically not horizontally. They made me go to the clinic to get it out. The doctor, whom later I found out is not the best of people, gave me a shot to try and ease the pain, but the thing is, he didn't wait for the numbness to kick in, he just started at it digging in my foot with a needle. I felt everything. After 5 mins. which felt like 5 hours, it was out, and finally my toes were a little tingly from the meds (Thanks for waiting, Doc!) . He gave me a prescription for an antibiotic, and pain killer, and sent me on my way .


(More to come but I have to run now)

No comments:

Post a Comment